Communication to all Nurses 

Dear Nurse,

As we start a new day in what will be an immensely difficult time I wanted to update you on some important points.

I also want to thank each of you for all you are doing despite the risks you are facing.

There have been some amazing stories about ICG Nurses which make me very proud to be your Head of Nursing, a nurse who has specifically requested to work on COVID positive wards only, nurses offering to go to areas they would not normally go to, nurses collecting colleagues who have transport issues, nurses offering colleagues a place to stay to avoid having to use public transport and these are just the acts of kindness I have been told about so I know there are many more. On behalf of your patients/clients, their families and loved ones, colleagues and all of us at ICG
Thank You for all you are doing.

Updates are as follows

• With immediate effect No one is to wear their uniform/scrubs to and from work – change on arrival and when leaving

• All Health and Social care organisations are following their countries current Public Health PPE requirements the nurse must wear a surgical mask, gloves, apron and where required a visor.

• In ITU/ICU/HDU or if the patient is undergoing aerosol generating procedures such as non-invasive ventilation, open suctioning, tracheostomy procedures, high-flow nasal oxygen etc. FFP3 masks, waterproof gown as well as apron, gloves and visor are a mandatory requirement for suspected and confirmed COVID 19 patients..

Some Trusts are also using FFP3 masks in other areas which is adding to the confusion about what to use and when.

As Public Health requirements change or Trusts notify us we will inform you of changes. “Clean and Dirty” areas are also being established in all A&E/ED’s and other high risk areas are being identified by each organisation, in these the PPE may be above the current recommended level.

Fit Mask testing is continuing in health and social care organisation, if you have not been tested or are unable to wear an FFP3 mask you are
not able to care for a patient where this mask is a requirement.

Some organisation are still waiting for deliveries of PPE which is causing issues over availability if you experience a lack of the appropriate equipment please make sure you DATIX/incident report this and inform me so I can speak to the organisation to raise concerns where required

Key worker status – please ensure you have your agency ID badge with you at all times if you are challenged about you status as a key worker whilst travelling or shopping in the NHS/Key worker slots you badge will be evidence of your status as a nurse/midwife/HCA

Your health please remember if you have are pregnant or have a health condition which increases your risk if you were to contract COVID 19 you MUST tell me so that the appropriate risk assessment can be undertaken to minimise the risk to you. If you are unsure then speak to me on 07496882532

If you will have travel difficulties now that public transport is being reduced speak to your agency so organisations can be asked if they can provide temporary accommodation for you. If the altered service means you know in advance you cannot arrive on time tell your agency so we can negotiate start and end times for you.

Keep your agency and me informed of any problems you are having so we can help and support you to continue the valuable work you are all doing.

Regards and Keep Safe

Justin Prins

Miriam Palk 
Head of Nursing
Miriam.Palk@icg-medical.com
 | 07496 882 532 

Proud supporters of The ICG Foundation